Thursday, November 1, 2007

Intent from the Heart

A year and a half ago, I attended a leadership development course from my firm.

It was unlike any other training courses where you go for a few days, maybe a week, get into a surreal environment and then the next Monday, all the desire to change has gone back to square one when the burdens of the daily work comes crashing back in.

Suffice to say, the program was a 9 months long, strong camaraderie with a team of global upcoming leaders, a chance to be close to the global leaders and also a memory which has lasted that I work for a global firm.

One of the most unique experience was during a second workshop when we got together. We spoke about two very personal items which the coaches wanted us to share - one was the personal journey line, and the other to develop our own teachable point of view (TPOV).

My teachable point of view was intent from the heart. It was about how I serve with good intent. It is what makes me go home, sometimes tired, sometimes elated, sometimes stressed, but everyday, I know I am not wrong in my principles; and everyday, I also know I can do better.

They made us speak about our TPOV on video, and I still have that DVD. Almost 1.5 years later, I could still feel the genuine-ness of my video, and this serves to still remind me why I am always eager to provide service.

Today, our people are more passionate, more ambitious, more daring. Yet, not many serve with intent from the heart, not many serve with intent to help others.

And halfway down my career, I am still not perfect, but I can claim to go on each day with good intent.

This is the career experience I hope all our new joiners aspire to have .... to serve with intent from the heart.