Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chief Innovation Architect

I've always wanted to be a member of CIA agency. Though not as much as I wanted to today.

I found one thing I liked to do today, after so many many years. I actually liked exploring innovation. I felt the hunger to learn more, to see how I could help the firm's clients exploit new trends and innovations to help them improve revenue streams or manage cost.

It may sound noble, but it did started off with what I felt I wanted to do as a kickoff for a project. And typical to my recent style, I only decided I wanted to present a short overview of trends and innovations for sharing the night before the kickoff. I had found a good opportunity to breathe fresh life to a list of global trends I researched a couple of months back to identify the future architecture for a company's functional area. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed and was energized by delivering this short summary, and I think with the same enthusiasm, drove the energy levels of my team as well to deliver their own parts with an eye on innovation.

Given a choice, and this is the first time I've said it in my long working career, I would like to be a chief innovation architect. Note my point on not making it Chief Innovation Officer, but, architect because I am a builder.

Now that I know what I want to be, how do I get there?