Saturday, August 18, 2007

Give you enough rope to hang yourself

I decided this blog will be about lessons I learnt from the corporate world. This is the world where I spend 12 hrs a day battling with the good, bad and ugly. In the end, I still represent a good organisation, so there is a few things I may not be able to say, but then again, there are some extreme leadership lessons I would really like to share.

The other day, one of my reporting to boss said - certain people who know how to play the game will give you enough rope to hang yourself.

This is a cruel reality - that there are those of us who urge on others but know when to back off to protect themselves, or know how to maneouver such that the roadkill or accidents do not reflect upon themselves.

I just had enough rope to hang myself recently, and I did, but I decided it was not my time yet. I learnt an ugly lesson of how things work around here, in almost my 1st year anniversary in office as a senior leader of this organisation.

Extreme leaders hurt themselves along the way. And sometimes we need to know how to give up too - I have not yet learnt this second part of the lesson, so I guess my pain threshold is high.